Improve your physical health and wellbeing through local physical activities
Being physically active can help prevent serious illnesses, and lead to a longer, happier life. According to NHS choices: “It can reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer by up to 50% and lower your risk of early death by up to 30%.”
Regular physical activity provides a range of physical and mental health benefits. These include reducing the risk of disease, managing existing conditions and developing and maintaining physical and mental function.
Physical activity not only promotes good health; it also contributes to a range of wider social benefits for individuals and communities such as reducing social isolation, using local public spaces such as parks and former friendships.
There are physical activity guidelines across the life course offering information on the type and amount of physical activity that individuals are suggested to embark on to reap health benefits.
Everyone should aim to be physically active everyday and any activity is better than none, and more is better still.
At First Contact Plus we work with your local District Physical Activity Development Officer who can provide advice, support and information on physical activity tailored to your needs. Health professionals such as GP’s can also signpost you to become more physically active (Exercise Referral Scheme) to assist in preventing / managing a health condition. Tailored physical activity programmes may be designed based on your needs to improve, increase or maintain your physical activity levels.
Can’t find the information on the website or need further support? You can fill in our online form below (red self-referral button in the bottom right corner) and we will get back to you within two working days.
What's in My Area:
- Exercise Referral Leaflet The Excercise Referral scheme is a programme for adults with a medical condition.
- Get running with couch to 5K
- Healthy Weight Calculator (BMI) A regular routine of exercise can increase your BMI, improving your health and fitness
- Leicestershire & Rutland Sport Make Your Move – Adults Top tips to help you move.
- Leicestershire & Rutland Sport Make Your Move – Children Top tips to help you move.
- Leicestershire & Rutland Sport Make Your Move – Older Adults Top tips to help you move.
- Leicestershire & Rutland Sport Make Your Move – Under 5’s Top tips to help you move.
- Leicestershire and Rutland Sport Activity Finder Postcode search facility to find activity classes and sports clubs.
- NHS Health Check Age 40-74? Find out about our FREE NHS Health Check
- Physically Active Guidelines for Adults
- Understanding Arthritis and Nutrition This booklet will explore the link between nutrition and Arthritis/MSK conditions, as well as showing how important a healthy lifestyle...