Caring for Others
Are you a carer? Find out about local advice and support services
A carer is someone who looks after and provides unpaid support for a friend or family member. Caring for someone can be a normal part of your life, and something that you accept as part of the everyday.
You may not see yourself as a ‘carer’, because the person you are looking after is a loved one, or someone you are in a relationship with; however it is important to recognise yourself as a carer so you are able to access the right benefits and support -as the caring role can bring with it stress, pressure and uncertainty.
At First Contact Plus, we can refer into VASL: Voluntary Action South Leicestershire. VASL runs a number of services including help and support for young and adult carers. Services include support groups for carers, a telephone befriending line and advice and information to help improve the general health and wellbeing of carers. Please click on the VASL advert logo below or in What’s in my area for more help and information.
Can’t find the information on the website or need further support? You can fill in our online form below (red self-referral button in the bottom right corner) and we will get back to you within two working days.
What's in My Area:
- CEA Card The CEA Card is a national card scheme developed for UK cinemas by the UK Cinema Association (UKCA).
- Carers UK Support, information and advice for carers
- Cinnamon Trust The National Charity for the elderly, the terminally ill and their pets.
- Combat Stress For veterans worried about your mental health, we can help.
- Enrych Leicestershire – Enrych Assist
- Free Care Coordination App Jointly makes caring for someone a little easier, less stressful and a lot more organised.
- Headway Headway is the UK-wide charity that works to improve life after brain injury. Through its network of more than 125...
- Looking after someone? Free Digital Resources for Carers We’ve teamed up with Carers UK to give carers in our area access to wide range of digital tools and...
- Macmillan Cancer Support Providing practical, medical and financial support and push for better cancer care.
- Mencap Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included
- Mind How to cope with being a carer
- Pohwer Advocacy POhWER provides the following services in Leicestershire: NHS Complaints Advocacy and Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA), including Deprivation of Liberty...
- Remploy Remploy exists to improve the lives of disabled people and those with complex needs through the power of work. We...
- Rethink Mental Illness Rethink Mental Illness was established by carers and our aim is to give them and those they care for, a...
- Royal Voluntary Service Together for older people
- Shuttlewood Clarke Foundation Supporting the elderly, adults with disabilities and young people through wellbeing activities, outdoor education and inspiring support services.
- Sue Young Cancer Support in Leicestershire and Rutland Provides practical and emotional support to anyone affected by cancer.
- Understanding Arthritis and Nutrition This booklet will explore the link between nutrition and Arthritis/MSK conditions, as well as showing how important a healthy lifestyle...
- VASL – Carers booklet A Guide for Carers.