Could your income be improved? Get help to claim the right benefits

You may be able to claim benefits or get financial help. The benefits you can get will depend on your individual circumstances.

Benefits you could claim;

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Winter Fuel Payment
  • Income Support

Read More

Attendance Allowance

Help with personal care if you are physically or mentally disabled and you’re aged 65 or over. It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability. The lower rate is paid if you need frequent help or constant supervision during the day, or supervision at night. The higher rate is paid if you need help or supervision throughout both day and night, or you’re terminally ill. You could get extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if you get Attendance Allowance

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you are aged between 16 to 64. The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

If you’re ill or disabled, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) offers you;

  • financial support if you’re unable to work
  • personalised help so that you can work if you’re able to

You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed.

You might be transferred to ESA if you’ve been claiming other benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit.

You must have a Work Capability Assessment while your ESA claim is being assessed. This is to see to what extent your illness or disability affects your ability to work.

You’ll then be placed in one of 2 groups if you’re entitled to ESA:

  • work-related activity group, where you’ll have regular interviews with an adviser
  • support group, where you don’t have interviews

What you’ll get

How much ESA you get depends on:

  • your circumstances, e.g. income
  • the type of ESA you qualify for
  • where you are in the assessment process

Carer’s Allowance

You may be able to get financial help if you care for someone. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that you and the person you care for get. You have to pay tax on it if your income is over the Personal Allowance

Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support)

Can help you if you have a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%. You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you get depends on;

  • where you live – each council runs its own scheme
  • your circumstances (e.g. income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • your household income – this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

Housing Benefit

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.

You may also be able to get help with your rent if your benefits stop

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 5 May 1953 you could get a tax-free sum to help pay your heating bills. Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get your money by Christmas. You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

If you qualify but don’t get paid automatically, you’ll need to make a claim.

Any money you get won’t affect your other benefits.

Use the benefits calculator below to find out which benefits and financial help you can get.

Can’t find the information on the website or need further support? You can fill in our online form below (red self-referral button in the bottom right corner) and we will get back to you within two working days.

Additional information

Also in Money, Debt and Benefits

What's in My Area:

View More